Re: portadisc battery caddy?

Subject: Re: portadisc battery caddy?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:02:50 -0500
oryoki2000 wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a US supplier for the Portadisc battery
> caddy?  It's HHB part number MDP500BC.  I was unable to locate a
> supplier on this side of the pond.  It's a lot faster to change out
> the caddy than fumble around loading eight AA cells.

You should have had one extra caddy with it. Using 2000mah AA's that
would give you a good part of a day of continuous recording. I've never
found need for more than the two. And rarely remove the batteries from
the caddy.

That said, the caddy is just two common battery holders riveted
together. So should not be hard to make. I would recommend doing what I
did, I sat down with a small soldering iron and properly welded the
plastic of the two sub parts together, otherwise with time you will get
cracks in that area. For weld material I use a piece of scrap of the
same type of plastic. In my case the scrap was a hangtab from something
I'd bought, clothes I think.

If you check HHb's site they list their reps, any of which should be
able to get it for you. Their US site also lists their main contact info
and contacting their US support should get you to someone who can sell
it to you.

I've figured if I needed more I'd probably build some stronger ones
milled out of delrin. But, I've not tried that yet.