Re: Sound Devices MP2

Subject: Re: Sound Devices MP2
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 00:40:52 -0500
Martyn Stewart  wrote:
> This is where i show my ignorance! Why would you use a Sound Device
> MP2, would this be for Minidisks without recording levels or am i
> missing the plot? surely you wouldn't use one if you had a HHB-MPD-
> 500?

HHb Portadisc is a amazing machine, with all kinds of capability. But it
lacks a M/S decoder. I got my MP2 to use in the field to provide M/S
decoding to my headphones while sending the undecoded signal for
recording on the Portadisc. Any other uses were secondary.

The Portadisc's pre's are good, so for most recording you won't need a
MP2. I have found you can squeeze just a little more gain from high
quality MKH mics by using the MP2 in conjunction with the Portadisc's
pre. VS just using the portadisc's pre. I've not yet decided if this is
worth it.

The primary use of a MP2 for most is to use a quality low noise mic at
high gain with a recorder who's pre's are not low enough noise. It will,
for instance help a walkman MD, or many of the lower end portable DATs.

It makes very little sense to get a MP2 to be used with a lower end mic.
All that clean gain so that you can listen to the mic's self noise better.

Yes, a MP2 could be a substitute pre for some recorder that only had a
line in. Like for instance recording to a laptop. Though there, if you
did not need the M/S capability there is a USB pre from the same company.