equipment advise 2

Subject: equipment advise 2
From: "Jon Reisenbuechler" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:35:47 -0600
Nature Recordists,

Thank you for your responses, I look forward to hearing more.  I am trying =
to better understand the cost/equipment commitment that will be needed to s=
tart recording animals (emphasis on bird chorus) for scientific research an=
d educational purposes.  As some of you probably know, birds are often stud=
ied in their habitats using a 10 minute point count where a researcher reco=
rds all species heard or seen from a central point.  A listening radius can=
 cover 300 meters in good conditions.  My primary goal is to make a fairly =
accurate audio document of these point counts, another goal is to record in=
dividual species song dialects within the region.

So what have I learned and what new questions have come up?

The Recorder
1) MiniDisc recorders, mostly commercial products ranging from 150 to $800.=
  Record in ATRAC format which is designed around how humans percieve sound=
.  Sound quality that is not detected by us may be lost.  While this format=
 is ok for learning and study it may not work so well for scientific callba=
ck surveys since the species may hear the difference.

2) Marantz PMD690 Stereo PC Card recorder a professional model recommended =
to me by Stith Recording  (they provide some of Cornell Unv equipment).  Pr=
iced around $1300.  Records onto PC cards in a variety of formats including=
 cd quality .wav.=20

I still have to investigate this area, especially along the lines of media =
space/cost/reuse, connectors, battery usage.=20

The Mic
Here is where it gets fun. The mic you use depends on what you want to do.
1) to record a single species a directional mic is used.  This may be a sho=
rt or long range "shotgun mic" for closer distances (??? meters) or a mic w=
ith a parabolic reflector for those long distance recordings ( ??? meters)

2) to record a chorus an omnidirectional mic is used.  This collects sound =
from almost all directions in a fairly consistant fashion.  I was reccommen=
ded that a Sennheiser MKH20 would be ideal.

I have the impression that stereo mics are better for both situations.  Is =
there a stereo omnidirectional mic?
How sensitive are omnidirectional mics, will they pick up most sounds withi=
n a 50m radius, how about 100m?  Can an omnidirectional mic be used with a =
parabolic reflector to record single species?

Some Other Stuff
1) wind shields to prevent the noise a breeze makes as it blows over your m=
ircophone
2) good connector cables ensure that sound quality is maintained from the m=
ic to the recorder
3) headphones to monitor the recording (ie see what you are recording).  Re=
corder needs to support this feature
4) shock guards to minimize handling noise, less important for ambient reco=
rding if a tripod is used.

Thanks again for your help and tolerance, it is greatly appreciated!

Jon Reisenbuechler