Clicks when transferring from Portadisc to PC through USB

Subject: Clicks when transferring from Portadisc to PC through USB
From: "Dominique Laloux" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:48:10 +0100
Hi,

I recently noticed the addition of clicks in recordings transferred from
Portadisc to PC through the USB port. The clicks are clearly audible,
they appear in the sonogram as vertical bands, and they seem to
correspond to a few milliseconds of data loss. They appear randomly but,
sometimes, up to 10 of them within 10 of 15 seconds. Transferring the
same track several times, I eventually could transfer most tracks
without clicks. But that is not really practical !

I only noticed these clicks recently, while transferring the recording
of a band concert to a PC for editing. Each track was several minutes
long (3-5 min). I never noticed them in previous transfers, but my
nature recordings are usually much shorter (around 1 min).

I tried my 2 portadiscs, 3 PCs (all 3 under XP Pro, I must admit) and
both CoolEdit 2000 and Audition... Same results. I tried on desktop PCs
built around P3 at 450 MHz, with 384 Mb RAM, and plenty of disk space. I
also tried on a laptop at 2.5 GHz with 512 Mb RAM... even tried on both
systems using a RAM disk for store temp files, in order to eliminate
disk access speed problems.

While transferring, I also stopped MacAfee anti-virus, as well as all
services that are not critical... I still have clicks.

Anyone having faced that problem before ? Any suggestion beside buying a
new computer ???
Paul, is that something other Portadisc users (like journalists) have
noticed before ?

Thanks,

Dominique Laloux