Re: microphone selection

Subject: Re: microphone selection
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:07:05 -0500
1GDW  wrote:
> I am making choices for parts in my home built parabolic.  The most
> often referred choice for the mic element is the ECM-T140.  The cost
> of that mic looks to be 60 to 70 dollars, is there a cheaper mic
> that will perform about the same?
> Gerald White

It's not magical all kinds of mics can do. I originally choose that mic
when I made my homemade for two reasons. First, it could be powered off
the Sony MD, no separate battery needed. I was replacing a mic that used
a tiny watch battery and changing that in the dark got old quick.
Second, the ECM-T140 had a wider frequency range than quite a few others.

In any case it's not a top end mic with very low noise characteristics.
Just a compromise.

You've been quoted more than I paid, though it's been a number of years.
I got mine for $39.99 a number of years ago.

All you need is a small, light mic. Preferably good frequency response,
which rules out mics made just for voice. Preferably nothing tough in
the way of powering. And, of course as quiet and sensitive as you can
get for the money.