Re: sound wavelength and parabola size

Subject: Re: sound wavelength and parabola size
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:33:50 +0100
All:

A parabol starts amplifying at a the same wavelengt as it's diameter. There
is no question about this. A telinga will start amplifying at some 650 Hz.
(340m / 0,53m) Then it gives a further gain by 6db/octave.

However, then some other tricky acoustical phenomena occurs. I will not
comment on this.
(In a week or so, I hope to publish the most extensive scientifical paper
made on this topic, by Sten wahlstr=F6m in Audio Engineering for many years=
 ago.)

But: Do not forget that a sound also consists of overtones! If a bird has
it's main singing on frequencies below 650 Hz, the dish will still amplify
it's overtones! This is why a parabola "recreates nearness" as distance
tends to attenuate overtones by 6db / octave. Roughly....

At 10 kHz, the focus is a "ball" with a diameter of 34 mm. It does not
matter where you place the (omni) microphone, as long as it is inside this
ball.

Subjectivelly, the parabola seem to cause "amplification" also at very low
frequencies. First of all this may happen when a pidgeon (for example) has
overtones higher than the Telinga 650 Hz. Then there is a "shield off"
effect. The parabol becomes a shield, in the way for side and background
sounds. This gives an impression that the parabola amplifies.

Finally you can sometimes hear an effect cause by the ground. Acoustical
phenomena, like a 6 - 10 db boost by the ground reflection, interact in
strange ways with the dish and microphone.

When I want to compare two different mic's in a parabol, I use pink noise o=
a sine tone sweep, outside, at a distance of 30 meters. It doesn't matter
how careful I am, the measurment will always be some 5 - 10 db different
from oneanother. This means that I have to make the printer draw 10-15
measuments on the response of a microphone, then change to another
microphone. When having 20 - 30 such figures on paper, I can compare them
and see if there are any significat pattern of differences.
Talking about MONO and OMNIS - when comparing two modern electrets in such =
way, it is very rare that the printer drawings show any relevant differenci=
es.

Klas.