Re: Sony MD Microphone preamp... Design and settings...

Subject: Re: Sony MD Microphone preamp... Design and settings...
From: "evertveldhuis <>" <>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 15:34:09 -0000
--- In  Klas Strandberg
<> wrote:
> Evert wrote:
>
> >  [own remark: In both cases this is done by letting the same
signal
> >  go thru the same opamp, but with 1 resistor more or less in the
> >  circuit. So overdriving the opamp will happen at the same SPL no
> >  matter the switch position.]
>
> Hm...? The "1 resistor more or less" is the resistor setting the
gain of the
> op amp. The lower value (Ohms)- the higher op-amp gain, the lower
headroom
> and the more distortion you get when input goes high. Observe that
such "too
> much" never shows on the meter!
>
> Klas.

Hi Klas

The configuration is a non-inverting opamp configuration. The lo/hi
switch only switches between 5 or 50 times amplification, no other
circuitry is used, I checked the service manual to make sure.

When is the selfnoise of an opamp the lowest, at high gain or at low
gain (closest to unity gain)

Regards, Evert