Re: Where did I go wrong?

Subject: Re: Where did I go wrong?
From: "oryoki2000 <>" <>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 01:50:31 -0000
The second John Moore wrote:

> Whether I use automatic or manual recording...
> and whatever combination of mics and preamps,
> mic input or line input I use, the recordings
> I make on the MD are marred by excessive hiss

The common element in these iterations is the MD.  I'd try to borrow
someone else's MD (perhaps at the dealer where you bought yours) to
see if the hiss problem continues with the mics.  The Analog Line-In
port will let you record from a pre-recorded source like a CD player
so you can confirm that the MD mechanism can record without hiss.

The noise floor of the mic and the MD pre-amp will show up on the
recording as hiss, especially when recording manually with high pre-
amp gain.  Humidity can also be an issue with these mics.

I believe the Sony mic has a impedance of 600 ohms, so recording with
the Shure accessory should raise the recording level.  The Sound
Professionals mics were designed to be used with minidisc recorders,
so I think they will have a higher impedance, and won't work as well
with the Shure gadget.  Does this match your experience?

A camcorder can record some very good sound, especially with quality
external mics.   I've grabbed some great bird sounds from my TRV-900.
You can set the camcorder to use 16/48 digitization.

--oryoki