Re: Digest Number 845

Subject: Re: Digest Number 845
From: Tom Thorley <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:07:53 +0000 (GMT)
>>Just a brief one on surround. I have used a pair of M/S mics firing
>>in opposite
>>directions to produce a reasonably compact mic setup. Of course there are=
>>whole bunch of phase issues that need to be sorted in post using this kin=
d of
>>rig. But the results where very pleasing to the ear. I did a test running=

them
>>live in a film dubbing theatre to get the spacings as good as possible an=
had
>>someone walk around/jump up and down and make noises as they walked aroun=
the
>>soundfield. A good 4.1 image was achieved. And I did take this rig into t=
he
>>field. I ran two timecode locked portadats - the results were great but
Walter
>>is right it is a laborious process all in all.

>Tom- did you use a single figure 8 or two? I'd think it could be done
with just 3 mics. Three MKH-80's (or the newer MKH-800's) could have all
their diaphragms in a pretty small space which should help a bit.

I tried both. Two figure 8's appeared to me aurally to give the most authen=
tic
soundfield - I was using the AKG SE300B modular mic system (Great sounding =
mics
for the money although high humidity/condensation environments are unsuitab=
le)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Address:    Tom Thorley
                 27 Haddo House, Haddo Street,