Re: dither

Subject: Re: dither
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:05:24 -0600
Hi Rich--
It's possible that the low number of bits that get used in a low
level field recording may be the bigger culprit.  I've gone this
route which, indeed, you may already be doing. I carefully equalize
as I normalize every field recording trying to minimize the "resonant
grunge" with 2-3 passes of  Waves Q10 or Waves Ren 6 (which I find
smoother). The noise is not in perfectly discrete bandwidths but it
does have some more noticeable concentrations in the low to lower-mid
range. Important to eq at the speaker level I intend to play it at.
After the amplitude is high, I do the head/tail fades when burning
the file to audio CD using most of the 16 bits for most of the fade.
I also notice that after I have a saturated, fat file, the processing
outcome if I must do additional equalization or file mixing comes out
much closer to what I heard in preview mode. I believe all waves
plugs dither in 32 bit.
Rob D.

  =  = = =