Re: Walt's Georgia Frog calls.

Subject: Re: Walt's Georgia Frog calls.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 11:06:43 -0500
Marty Michener wrote:
> At 05:49 PM 12/6/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>Seems to be a day for finishing things. I turned in the final burn of
>>stuff for mastering the Georgia frogcall CD today. Now it's on to
>>narration and final master. I'm assuming they will manage that without
>>my help.
>>
>>Walt
>>

> Walt:
>
> Great news; when is the final available - - frog sounds would be welcome to
> warm us up about nowadays.

It will be introduced at Georgia's "Weekend for Wildlife" fundraiser
February 7-9. After that it will be available for sale as a ongoing
fundraiser. I'm not sure how that will be arranged. But the thing that
got the higher ups to want this was New Jersey's frog CD. What they
noticed was the heavy sales of that one. When they asked John Jensen if
we could do it, he and I were already talking about putting one
together, this just rushed it a bit. I would have loved to have another
year or two to fill in on some species.

The "Weekend for Wildlife" has been going on every year for 15 years.
It's really for the deep pockets brigade. Minimum buy in includes a
mandatory minimum $325 donation for research. And you don't want to know
what it costs to stay at the Cloister on St. Simons Island, the official
center for the thing. I don't expect to attend unless someone pays my
fare. There are 3 days of assorted field trips, demonstrations and so on
and a big formal dinner.

Anyway, CD will have narrated ID calls for all 31 Georgia species of
frogs, plus a bonus hopeful, the Pine Barren's Treefrog. Then followed
by a through the year chorus that's going to be about 22 minutes long.
That is a pure listening part, instead of what's traditional on these
state CD's of a unnarated repeat of the ID calls. The thought was that
it would be put together so it plays continuous, and in what I turned in
I provided a sample. As well as the necessary separate tracks, I
provided the chorus with each track with zero time between, and then a
chorus with 2 second crossfades. That last one is really nice, and
should be similar to what will be done. At least I hope so. You almost
don't notice it's in tracks, frogs just come and go, sometimes, like the
spring peepers they hang in through a fair ways, others just a short
appearance. We did not quite manage every species in the chorus, but we
tried.

Since the chorus is the "test yourself" section what frogs are in each
of the 29 chorus tracks will be given in the booklet. The booklet will
also contain a species by species bit of info, with range maps. The fun
thing there was that the ID track I made up for the Southern Cricket
Frog included a segment from a area it was unknown. It was in the
material I turned in for the survey, but they had not gotten to it
officially yet. So the range map will be revised (yet again). It will be
a challenge to find all the frogs in the chorus, John Jensen of the DNR
and I selected tracks that have lots of species, and he's very good at
picking out even the faint frogs off in the background and is listing it
all in the booklet.

Three of the ID tracks, and a part of a third are not my recordings, the
rest is all from my survey recordings. I'm actually only missing one
species, Brimley's Chorus Frog. But I had limited material on some
others. The entire chorus is all mine, and except for one Carpenter Frog
track is all recorded in Georgia. The Brimley's we are using for ID was
also not recorded in Georgia, no Brimley's have been found in Georgia in
a number of years, I expect to fix that eventually.

This CD works mostly just the breeding calls. I'm thinking of doing a
full vocabulary eventually, but will need to do a lot more recording for
that.