Re: (unknown)

Subject: Re: (unknown)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:18:16 -0500
J Young wrote:
> The winter doldrums must be upon us. Alas, no activity.

I have far more to do than time. Let's see:

I just turned over three more CD's full of frog chorus clips for sorting
to go into the DNR CD on thursday. I've been working fairly steadily
since summer on that project. I get a little breather on that now, my
job is nearly done.

With that done I've started back through the material I generated to
start selecting new frogcall clips for my website.

I'm mumbling around about a case for the Portadisc in combo with the MP2
Pre. Having them on separate shoulder straps gets old quick.

I'm starting on setting up the two MKH-80's in a single
suspension/windscreen setup for MS stereo (variable pattern!). Unlike
most of the mics we use these mics pick up from the side, so the
suspension is different.

Following that will probably be the MKH 30/40 MS combo. And then the
stereo with the MKH-816's.

Then there is the problem of carrying these setups, storage cases.

Yesterday I milled two tiny delrin clips to replace two cracked ones
that held the back cap on a zeppelin I got off ebay. I don't know what
rycote charges for them, but these are made from better plastic and
mounted better.

There have been a few oversexed spring peepers and upland chorus frogs
reported calling not too far south from me. I expect our current cold
snap slowed that down. I normally make my first frog recording near the
beginning of January here.

I was out recently after heavy rain trying to get Spadefoot Toads. No
luck, but that's when I got the new thunder recordings for the SASS page.

Today we drove half way across the state to check out some new locations
where Wood Frogs have been reported. Found good looking pools at each
location or nearby. Many of the reports were roadkill. That's going to
be a big enlargement to their range in Georgia. And if they are in those
areas....

This is the time of year for getting the equipment fixed up, and making
plans. The new season will arrive all too soon.