Re: nice sound, walt!

Subject: Re: nice sound, walt!
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:41:36 -0400
Rudy Trubitt wrote:
> Nice Sound, Walt!
>

> Last night about 3AM a small thunderstorm moved over us. It was doing
> occasional cloud lightning. I recorded with the SASS plugged direct into
> the HHb Portadisc (setting of 5). I had the SASS wind cover on to deal
> with the breeze, and recorded at the edge of our front porch, just back
> from the rain.
>
> The MKH110 mics I use have a frequency response down to 1Hz. I'm sure
> they were producing signal at that end that was lower than the Portadisc
> could record, most of the energy of the thunder was below 40Hz.
>
> Anyway, I put up a bolt for you. It's a full minute with all the echoes,
> be warned, even as a mp3 this is 1.9megs, a long download with a modem.
>
> It's linked off the SASS page:
> http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/sass_mkh110.html
> or the direct link is here:
> http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/Sounds/SASS-2.mp3

Now if I can just subdue the whine that's lurking in that. It does not
belong. Some sort of interaction through the power supply for the two mics.

Once I get it running right I'm going to have a lot of fun with low sounds.

I've had a goal for several years to do some good recordings of frogs
calling in the rain and thunder. I've got some semi-nice stuff, but I
think this setup might get some really good stuff. In the longer
recording that it was taken from, the rain sounds right too. Only thing
missing is the heavy vibration you feel.