Re: Re: Quick parabolic.

Subject: Re: Re: Quick parabolic.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 02:09:16 -0400

Shaun wrote:
> Hey again,
>           I was wonderin if the shure 16A would be any good for the
> quick parabolic and if not i was wondering if i could use a lapel
> mic , and take the membrane out of it?

You would have to point it in the direction of the dish, putting all
it's weight out quite a ways in front. It would not fit in a 3/4" pipe,
so you would have to beef up the nosepiece. In short you would end up
with a parabolic that was considerably unbalanced, making it hard to aim
or hold for any length of time.

There is really no fixed formula for a mic for this. The pipe design is
the way it is to match a tie tac sized mic up to about 1/2" diameter.
But modifying the pipe size will allow bigger mics. With a balance
disadvantage.

If you are used to using the panasonic capsules, they would easily fit.

In other words the plans are not fixed in stone, but more something to
get started on. As long as the mic is in the focus of the reflector, and
the balance is reasonable it will work.