Re: Re: Your homemade quick parabolic mic.

Subject: Re: Re: Your homemade quick parabolic mic.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:46:57 -0400

Klas Strandberg wrote:

> As a matter of facts, most recordists who are familar with the Telinga since
> many years back, prefer to put the mic a bit out of focus. The alternative
> is to point a bit aside, or below, the bird. This is especially true when
> the song has a lot of overtones. General advice is that you don't find the
> "best" sound when you come near, or focus perfectly, but that is a matter of
> taste.

I tend toward putting the mic out near the outer limits of focus. And, I
often end up pointing a bit aside on the louder stuff that's fairly close.

> The bigger the parabol, the bigger the mic membrane - the better the
> amplification. Big glass fibre dishes (the old Roche 1200 mm + a good
> tripod!) with a big dynamic microphone (like the old version of Beyer ME88)
> perform fantastic, if you just can get rid of the electronic noise (A
> perfectly matched transformer and very careful design of the mic amp)
> However, such monsters are mostly left under the bed, back home, and not
> much recording is done.

The little tie tac mics are at the opposite end. Very tiny membrane. I'm
sure a mic with a larger membrane would do better, but there are not too
many choices in cheap $50 mics that seem to do any better. I lean toward
the Sony tie tacs as they take the plug in power of the walkman MD's.

One big advantage of a tie tac is it's light and very easy to mount.

And in terms of staying in the focus, they have a advantage.

I've thought of hooking up the Marshall mics I have with a larger
parabola. They have a 1" diaphragm. And are a modern studio mic, not too
noisy. Might get some interesting lower frequency stuff that way.