Re: EnjoyBirds news

Subject: Re: EnjoyBirds news
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:03:38 -0400
Dear Recordists:

First, I must apologize if I misunderstood Doug's guidelines for
postings.  This message was perhaps too commercial, and I regret making it=

so long.  To anyone who feels spammed, I am especially sorry.  As a reason,=

not an excuse, for so doing, I will only say: my ISP has messed up the
process for several months of getting my web site running, so although I
would have preferred making a short post and referring all interested folks=

to the web site, I can not do so.  Eventually,   www.enjoybirds.com  will
be available, as it is reserved.

At 09:28 AM 9/8/02 -0700, you wrote:
> > Congraulations Marty!
>
>     Any chance a Mac version's in the works?
>
>Dennis Hysom

Dear Dennis, Bernie, Walt:

Thanks for all the interest!  Naturally a lot of people have asked about
Macs, but as you may know, without a very large investment in software
systems, making stuff inter-compatible is impossible, or has been for a
long time.  I am certainly looking into it, since a disproportion of
birders and nature recordists use Macs, naturally enough, but I have yet to=

actually meet anyone who does write software for a Mac - whereas PC geeks
like me are all over the place.

My marketer, Kevin Loughlin, of wildside birding and adventure camera, has=

been trying to run it on Macs for several months, using software that
emulates Intel, but has had no luck so far.  I have five experts on the
subject in regular contact, and will certainly keep all posted.

RE: Notebook size.

The real disappointment has been, over eight years, to watch as my
illustration list grew from zero to 2160 species, as computers got lighter=

and smaller, and now have REVERSED, getting larger and heavier.  I do own a=

2.6 lb Win95 PC Amity that I have used for three years in the field.  The
screen is 4 x 6 inches, and the software works perfectly on it in the
field. You basically load the whole CD-ROM onto the hard drive, over 10,000=

files.  It is the one computer I own that has never locked up at all,
probably because I neither connect it to the Internet, nor load on new
softwares that screw up the system DLLs.

Birders rebelled when Howell & Webb Mexican bird guide book came out, it
weighs 3.9 lbs and measures: 9 x 6 x 2 inches.  Many folks on BirdChat have=

posted they simply won't carry it.  The Amity CN measures 9 x 6.5 x 1.5.

Now, you cannot buy small computers that fit into a coat pocket.  I need
suggestions.  If you go to any web site where notebook computers are sold,=

and try to filter based on weight you cannot.  If you call any company that=

MAKES computers, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, PC Connection, and ask for
whatever notebook they recommend under 4 lbs, they draw a complete
blank.  I have actually tried this.  Some of the Sony Vaio (?) are small,
and the drives dis-attach, but I need to investigate more.

I know it sounds paranoid, but it really smacks of a marketing conspiracy
to get you to settle for either a Palm-whatever or a large, heavy
notebook.  The Palm-whetevers I have looked at all have too few pixel
screens and/or too little RAM for the sound files.  So far.

So I now have available, what I consider the ideal digital field guide
ready, and I can only use it on my own antique Mitsubishi Amity CN model 2=

(1997), and none other.  What a marketing downer!  Suggestions welcome.

my very best,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds - the software that migrates with you.