Re: back up on audio CDR (warning: long)(was:beginners question)

Subject: Re: back up on audio CDR (warning: long)(was:beginners question)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 05:33:16 -0400
Marty Michener wrote:

> At 09:02 AM 9/2/02 +0100, you wrote:
> >One point that's worth bearing in mind when dealing with audio CDR is that
> >700 MB disks are outside of the Yellow Book Standard for CDR media, which
> >if you are using a dedicated audio CD burner ( rather than PC drive ) the
> >hardware is designed around the standard. Although they may work perfectly
> >, I always advise our CDR customers not to use them.
> >
> >Best Wishes
> >
> >Matt
>
> Me too, but I have been unable to buy locally ANYTHING BUT 700 discs for
> nearly a year now.

Like many things connected with computers in any way, we are not going
to have the choice. I still sometimes see 650meg disks, but not often.
So, regardless of standard it's going to be 700meg disks or stop
burning. Maybe they may be available at the premium shops, I don't shop
such places much.

I was first a bit worried using them, but so far no problems either in
burning or in playback. And that includes a lot of players that are
definitely pre 700meg disks.

I am burning with a full function burner, not one of the audio CD only
jobs. Though I do use software that's dedicated to burning audio CD's.
It has no problem with the 700's either.