(probably) basic electret mic question

Subject: (probably) basic electret mic question
From: "kennjava" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:55:15 -0000
Hi,

Forgive me if this has been asked before... a quick search of the
archive didn't show anything.

To all you home-brew mic makers - I've built a few using Radio Shack
electretcapsules, with mostly good results. I'm told that the
Panasonic capsules are about the best "inexpensive" electrets to use
(before one starts to buy the best capsules from Sennheiser, AKG,
Shure, etc)

So I've looked at the choice available from Digikey. It's a bit
daunting; I was hoping that someone here could help narrow down my
choice ? I'm looking for the omni electret with the best combination
of output level, response and noise. What has worked best for you folks?

Also, Digikey has some Emkay capsules including the FG-3329, which is
supposed to be a high-performance omni electret for recording
applications. Emkay is a division of Knowles, which is a respected
maker of hearing-aid mics, and may be an OEM supplier of electret
capsules to Shure, Crown, etc. Anyone tried these?

Thanks for any responses.