Loss of Robert Sutton

Subject: Loss of Robert Sutton
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 06:27:10 -0400
Recordists, friends:

I paste-copy below a notice I just received.  I am almost speechless.
One of our great pioneer recordists is lost, apparently so tragically!
He was a member of this group, I believe, and will certainly be sorely
missed by many of us to whom he was always so helpful.

- Marty

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

Dear Colleagues,

Robert Sutton - internationally-known Jamaican Ornithologist and author
of Birds of Jamaica, husband of Ann Haynes Sutton (Ornithologist & Secretary
of SCSCB) - passed away, tragically, on July 22nd, 2002. Robert was stabbed
during a robbery of the Sutton's home - Marshall's Pen. Ann was treated
at the hospital and released. We are thankful that she is alive and hope
she will have the strength to carry on after this devastating loss.

Robert touched many lives and had a profound and positive influence on
Jamaica's birds and environment. In addition to co-authoring Birds of
Jamaica: a Photographic Field Guide (Cambridge University Press), Robert
also published in 2000 a set of tapes/CDs of Jamaican bird vocalizations
(with G. Reynard by Cornell University Press: Bird Songs in Jamaica).
His expertise in Jamaican birds, especially their songs, was called upon
by many, including visiting film crews, NGOs, and scientists, as well as
local residents and environmental groups. He and Ann were pioneers in
promoting Jamaican Nature Tourism. Robert took great pleasure in taking
local and visiting birders into the bush to see birds. Not only did
Robert provide expertise to overseas birdwatching tours, but he and Ann
extended warm hospitality and friendship to all who enjoyed seeing birds
in Jamaica. His legacy will live on in the many individuals that he
taught and inspired.

This senseless tragedy is beyond comprehension. Our hearts go out to Ann
and Robert's family for their loss. The bird conservation communities in
Jamaica, the Caribbean, and throughout the world also mourn the loss of
a dedicated environmentalist who worked tirelessly, along with his wife,
to study and conserve Jamaica's birds. Many of you have asked how you
can help. The SCSCB is pleased to announce that, with the kind
assistance of the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, a Memorial Fund
has been established to honor Robert's memory. The funds will go towards
supporting an aspect of Jamaican bird conservation especially important
to Robert (to be announced).

If you would like to contribute to the fund, please send a check, made
out to National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, to the following address:

National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
1120 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC, 20036

phone: 202-857-0166, fax: 202-857-0162

NOTE: It is VERY IMPORTANT that you write "Robert Sutton Memorial Fund"
directly on the check. This will ensure that all contributions are
documented and accredited to this fund, and that NFWF mails you a thank
you letter that includes the tax deductible donation credit.

As soon as a decision is made as to how the fund will be used, we will
notify you.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Yours sincerely,

Lisa Sorenson & Patricia Bradley, Co-chairs, WIWD Working Group of the
SCSCB
Eric Carey, President, and other Executive Officers for the Society for
the Conservation and Study of Caribbean Birds