Re: Recording really is like photography

Subject: Re: Recording really is like photography
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:12:46 -0400
Doug Von Gausig wrote:

> I have been an amateur photographer nearly all my life, starting with a
> Minolta SR-1 - their first 35mm SLR -  back when I was about 12. I've
> always felt the parallels between sound recording and photography were
> striking - they are almost the same thing. The equipment, philosophy,
> venues, subjects and techniques all are very similar. Whether and how we
> edit a photograph is the same question with the same considerations as
> whether we edit sounds. Microphones are lenses, recorders are cameras,
> studios are darkrooms. When I explain aircraft noise or traffic in the
> distance to a non-recordist, I relate it to a haze or a color wash over a
> scene about to be photographed. A distant chain saw is like a contrail in a
> landscape...
>
> I carry my Oly UZ-700 everywhere I go while recording, and I still enjoy
> the photographs I take as much as the sounds I record.
>
> I wonder how many of us are photographers? I'll bet a majority.

I can beat you for starting age. I was doing darkroom printing of my own
photography (with my dad's help) when I was 6. I did sun contact prints
when I was 5. That was somewhere back before the dawn of time ;-)

My digital camera kit is along on all my trips, and get's lots of use.
You can not only listen to the greenhouse frogs I recorded, but you can
see my photos:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/docs/greenhouse.frog.html

My extensive film gear does not get as much use. Even the quality films
I used have gone. Remember Kodachrome 25? Or the real champion, high
resolution Photomicrographic Ektachrome? 2.5 times higher resolution
than the best Kodachrome. And a whopping 12 ASA to work with. Or
Panatomic X for B & W?

I agree as far as general things, photography and nature recording are
very similar. The big difference to my mind is it's easier to keep the
junk out of a photo, but much harder to record around unwanted sound.