Re: Bird Call Car Alarm

Subject: Re: Bird Call Car Alarm
From: "Brian M. Godfrey" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:45:27 -0700
> Well which herp has the best alarm for a car alarm?
> I vote for the Eastern Narrowmouth Toad because of the ease of use
> with a car alarm speaker.
> http://home.attbi.com/~richpeet/EasternNarrowmouthToad.mp3

   I want one!!!  :-)

   The Oregon coast has a catastrophic earthquake/tsunami ever 300-600
years.  Since the last one was on January 9th, 1700 we are within the
window.  So all the little towns up and down the coast have their
disaster and evacuation plans and so on.  Many have public
warning/address systems which are gigantic speakers which blanket the
entire town with sound (they have to be loud enough to exceed the volume
of the surf.)
   Cannon Beach was concerned that people might mistake the monthly
tests for real alarms, that they would become so inured to the tests
that they would avoid a real alarm, or that annoying tests might create
a bad experience for the tourists on which our economy is almost 100%
dependent, so they came up with a novel solution: they play a recording
of cows mooing.  Really loud.  They get in the voice tests and the
beep-bleep-blip-bleep sounds and so on, but it always begins and ends
with the cows.  It is hilarious and gets everyone's attention without
being annoying.  Even after hearing it for many years I still smile at
it.
   I don't know if a frog car alarm would deter thieves, but it sure
would attract attention!=20

--Brian M. Godfrey
  Wild Bird Shop & Nature Arts & Sounds, Cannon Beach, OR
  www.wildbirdshop.com