Bird sounds from Colombia

Subject: Bird sounds from Colombia
From: Mauricio Alvarez <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:52:21 -0500
Hello all

In an expedition to the Cordillera Central de Colombia we found several
interesting birds. We are at thew final process of publishingf some of the
recordings in a CD. Even thou, we have many more recordings, some of them
mysterious, among them, we have three recordings in which we did not have
any clue.

The first sound (BSA 7794) is the recording of a bird as a playback respons=
inside very dense and tangled vegetation (2 m high) at a border of a
highland forest  (3000-3100 m Caldas, Municipio de Neira). The response to
playback continues the same way for a long time (even several minutes).

The second (BSA 8543) and the third one (BSA 8514) were made at 800 m of
altitude inside a big fragment of primary "dry" forest uphill at the east
side above the Cauca River, near Irra, Departamento de Caldas.

The BSA 8543 is a natural recording made while the day was opening but stil=
without light. The sound was never again heard during the rest of the light
day.

The BSA 8514 is a natural recording of an unknown bird made nearby a Manacu=
vitellinus lek along the ridge of a hill in the middle morning.

the sounds are posted at http://www.naturesongs.com/nrmysteries.html

Thank very much for the help and wish you enjoy the sounds.

Mauricio Alvarez y Sergio Cordoba
Banco de sonidos animales (BSA)
Instituto Humboldt
Colombia