Re: sound input on Powerbooks

Subject: Re: sound input on Powerbooks
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:31:24 -0400
md10x42 wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for the best method to input sound on the new Mac
> ibooks and G4 Powerbooks. There is no mic input and I still
> havent found a USB powered device (if that's what is
> necessary?).
>
> Mario Cohn-Haft just purchased a new Powerbook and is also
> wondering the same thing.

A USB input is what you need. If you do not need digital input there is
the inexpensive iMic from griffin technology, which is analog only:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html

Otherwise you will have to spend a bit more for something like the
Roland UA-30 or one of it's competitors. This gives you digital I/O as
well as analog, and provides a headphone jack with volume control. You
do need the headphone jack on the USB device due to certain problems in
the way USB audio works, namely both in and out will be transferred
together to it, a problem with intel's specs for USB.

That will give you the hardware, you will still need software. Best idea
is to get a good sound editor. Bias' Peak is the most common one used:
http://www.bias-inc.com/