Re: HHB battery advice

Subject: Re: HHB battery advice
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:41:30 -0400
suzanne gibson wrote:

> Thanks for all the useful advice - my synopsis is let
> the battery's charge and discharge fully between uses,
> and take Walts advice re chargers and batteries.

A NIMH battery has very little, if any of the memory effect that is a
problem in Nicads. Discharging fully is advice to avoid that. Therefore,
with the NIMH batteries used with the Portadisc, it's probably not
necessary to fully discharge before charging.

I do periodically give my NIMH batteries a full discharge cycle in the
Maha chargers I use. I always do that every time with Nicad batteries.

Note one of the other instructions for new NIMH batteries for optimum
capacity is to put them through several charge/discharge cycles when
first put into service. Again something I do using the Maha chargers.

It is good to not rush charging. Even if fast charging it's not a bad
idea to give the fully charged batteries a little time on trickle charge
before removing from the charger. I normally give them enough time to
cool down to just mildly warm.