Re: MicPre-A/D-AudioInterface for Mac laptop

Subject: Re: MicPre-A/D-AudioInterface for Mac laptop
From: "richpeet" <>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:01:50 -0000
Welcome and enjoy.  I enjoy both direct pcm recording to a laptop as
well as consumer level atrac compressed md.

I would also like some hands on time with the usb pre but have not to
date.

I would like to take you up on the statement that you have complex
sounds that gives disturbing artifacts in atrac.

If you e-mail one of these complex sounds then I will convert it to
a "disturbing atrac" sound and back to pcm wave.  I can then e-mail
it back to you. This will include one analog conversion as consumer
level machines do not have digital out.  It will mean two atrac
conversions, one in and one out.

Then you tell me which file is yours without looking at a graphic,
just listen.

to send me a wave email after changing the (at)"richpeet(at)attbi.com"

Rich Peet
--- In  Marvin Humphrey <> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A brief introduction, as the welcome letter requests:  I spent the
last 6
> years working in a multipurpose recording facility, the middle two
as a
> graphic designer and the last two as a mastering engineer, before
leaving to
> concentrate on making my own music.
>
> I'm going to be doing some field recording of various kinds.  Not
all
> related to nature sounds, but that will be part of it.  (The first
project
> will be barking dogs.  Then water sounds of various kinds,
including waves
> lapping on a beach.  Then maybe freeway noises.  Etc.) This will be
for
> creating my own samples which I will subsequently manipulate in
extreme ways
> as original compositions.
>
> This application is tends to expose the artifacts of lossy
compression
> schemes such as ATRAC in disturbing ways, so I will be recording
straight
> PCM to a Mac laptop.  I am prepared to deal with the ergonomic
inconvenience
> when compared to other configurations.  I might have considered
PortaDAT,
> but I don't want to invest in DAT machines at this point.
>
> I am going to need an audio interface of some kind.  Logic Platinum
is my
> recording software.  I am considering the Sound Devices USB Pre.
How do you