Upcoming Nature Sounds Society Workshop

Subject: Upcoming Nature Sounds Society Workshop
From: Rudy Trubitt <>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:07:49 -0700
The NATURE SOUNDS SOCIETY is conducting the Eighteenth Annual Field
Recording Workshop June 21 - June 23. The workshop is an opportunity
to learn about nature sounds recording and the use of a variety of
equipment during daily sessions in the field with experienced
recordists. We will have early morning field recording session both
Saturday and Sunday mornings in a number of environmental settings.
This is an excellent opportunity to talk shop with the pros and seek
their advice. In addition, there are short educational segments and
evening presentations. Our speakers this year will be Frank Dorritie,
the chair of the Department of Recording Arts at Los Medanos College
and who has just written a new book "The Handbook of Field
recording"; Jonathon Storm who has been a nature recordist since 1984
and has published eleven albums under EARTHTUNES series; and Guy
Oliver, the Research of the Oceanic Society, who is an expert on the
effect of sound on marine animals as well as their use of sound. We
will also receive a technology update from Dan Dugan, noted sound
designer, engineer and inventor. Sunday morning we will receive an
update on the policies and efforts to preserve the natural soundscape
from Judy Rocchio, Regional Soundscape Program Manager for the
National Park Service and Karen Schambach, Founder and President of
the Center for Sierra Nevada Conservation and also the California
Coordinator for Public Employees for Environmental Responsibilities
(PEER).

The workshop will be held at the San Francisco State Field Campus
near Yuba Pass just northwest of Truckee, California. The workshop
will start Friday evening, June 21, and end noon Sunday, June 23. The
cost is $175 for members, $200 for non-members which includes a one
year membership in the Nature Sounds Society. For additional
information, email
<> or call the
Oakland Museum at (510) 238-7482.