Re: Signal splitting alternative

Subject: Re: Signal splitting alternative
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 08:11:13 -0500
At 10:38 PM 4/5/02 +1000, you wrote:
>Come to Australia and test your equipment on a lyrebird.  He will obligingly
>stay in the one spot and sing at length with much repetition of sounds.
>Place your mic. where the bird is going to sing, at whatever distance from
>his beak that you prefer.  Hook up 50 metres or so of cable back to a
>comfortable site where the bird can't see you, and you are in business.
>
>Simply connect your dat, dcc, md and memory card recorder in turn to the mic
>to record a suitable sample, say a few minutes each.
>
>An Albert's lyrebird will sing up to an hour or more at a time, and moreover
>he puts his mimicry and a few other sounds into a 50 second song and cycles
>this over and over.  A Superb Lyrebird won't sing as long, maybe 20 minutes
>or half an hour, and he doesn't have a fixed cycle of song, but he has a
>wider variety of sounds and does repeat them many times even if in random
>order.
>
>Get say ten samples on each machine and you should be able to detect what
>differences, if any, the equipment is making.

Well said, Syd!!   I always enjoy a momentary disruption of endless list
equipment details for some actual field biology!

Q: Can anyone advise on how difficult is it to find and record voices from
the remaining St. Vincent Parrots?

my very best,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
75 Hannah Drive, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds bird identification software.