Re: Sonograms?/Using "Canary" and othersoftware?

Subject: Re: Sonograms?/Using "Canary" and othersoftware?
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 10:40:47 +0200
You're right, the software works on the Intel architecture. It runs on a PC
emulator but it is slow and not suitable for real-time. The windows
version, named SeaWave, is available for free downloading from a linked
site. The complete version , which extends to 192kHz and includes tools for
very special applications, is marketed just to cover the costs of
development and testing; though it is available for free within an
agreement with my lab.

I think that if a software really matches the user needs, it is worth the
adoption of a different platform, even if for that software only. With
1,3K$ you can buy a notebook and a UA5 suitable for the task.
Gianni

At 18.37 04/04/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Gianni Pavan wrote:
> >
> > I very often use real-time spectrograms for research in the field (acoustic
> > surveys for marine mammals) but also for education and training. The
> > software we developed allows to "view" sounds in real-time with great
> > accuracy while recording to disk or  while playing back a wav file.
> > Visit the page http://www.unipv.it/cibra/softw.html for knowing more about
> > that software and for downloading a free version you could use for
> > verifying if it matches your needs.
>
>If the person is using Canary, they are using a Mac. Your software is
>windows. We can run windows software on our macs using VirtualPC, but
>the emulation makes it slower. I don't know how well it would work. Even
>the soundcard is a emulator as windows does not know mac sound I/O.
>
>You did not seem to have a windows version, only a older DOS version for
>downloading. Is there a windows version other than the commercial
>software listed?
>
>Walt

Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel/Fax   +39-0382-525234 Laboratori
Tel/Fax   +39-0382-526208 Segreteria