RE: Vocalization intensity and species density

Subject: RE: Vocalization intensity and species density
From: "Kevin J. Colver" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:36:08 -0600
I'm just back from a trip to Organ Pipe National Monument where the
birds are singing very little this year.  The park biologist tells me
that his bird counts this year are down 80% over previous years, due to
the severe drought conditions.  The only place I noted much singing was
near park headquarters and campgrounds where birds had access to human
introduced resources such as water and picnic leftovers.

Yes, it was my impression that the birds remaining sang much less than
expected.  The dawn chorus was abbreviated.  Survival mandates a balance
between dangerous public display needed for breeding purposes and
keeping a low profile when possible.  Birds will only get up on the
cactus and sing if they feel the compelling drive to do so.

On the other hand, a lost wanderer may sing quite a bit.  We had an
Ovenbird singing persistently in our canyon a few years ago, never could
attract a mate because he was a thousand miles from the ladies.

Kevin J. Colver
114 North Clark Lane
Elk Ridge, UT  84651
801-423-1810