Re: New(?) things to make with recordings

Subject: Re: New(?) things to make with recordings
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:17:21 -0500
At 09:46 PM 3/11/02 -0500, Walt Knapp wrote:
>Probably the classic example is the Coqui frog. It's call sounds like
>it's name. And, in this case a single call is both. The Co part is the
>territorial warning to other males, the qui is the attracting the female
>part. And what's more, the hearing of these frogs is wired
>appropriately, the males are more sensitive in the range of the Co, and
>the females the qui.

Walt: Thanks, fascinating! I did not know that.
The Coqui I have never heard, except in captivity, I visited Marston Bates
in his home in Michigan around 1965, and he had a huge "green house"
adjoining his living room, with a tropical ecosystem working there, with
additional lighting, heating and water to battle the northern winter
factors.  The Coqui sang much of the day and night while it snowed and
rained outside.  Nice place!

my very best,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
75 Hannah Drive, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds bird identification software.

PS Sorry about the previous post spelling of Chandler S. Robbins' name!!