Re: Hard disk .wav recorder

Subject: Re: Hard disk .wav recorder
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:10:06 -0500
Lang Elliott wrote:

> Randy:
>
> I think the beast is going to cost around ten grand altogether (with
> necessary accessories). That puts it at about the same price range as the
> Deva II, which is a four track hard disk recorder described at
> http://www.zaxcom.com/audio/deva.shtml

Definitely too much money.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:14 2005
Message: 1
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:45:42 -0500
From: Marty Michener <>
Subject: Re: Another USB that doesn't work. (was NOT Linux etc.)

At 09:01 PM 3/18/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey Everyone
>I seem to be having a problem with transferring recordings from my HHB to my
>new HP Laptop computer that is running Window XP. My home computer which runs
>Windows, ME doesn't have any troubles. Is this a Window XP problem? All I get
>is a message that says the computer doesn't recognize the USB devise that has
>been plugged in. Is there a specific driver needed to work with the Windows
>XP?
>Frustrated!!
>
>Stan Tekiela
>Author / Naturalist
>Wildlife Photographer

Dear Stan:

I suspect it may be not the version of windows, but, as Walt advises, it
truly is amazing how often windows never hints at what it already has that
can solve a problem.  I have found HP has its own, sometimes maverick,
ideas about actual PC configurations, although the rest of their machinery
seems sane.  But this may be a parallel story - please read on.

My son got a Toshiba notebook last October, 2001, from PC Connection, the
largest mail-order company in New Hampshire - or the world!  He, rathering
NOT to use the mousepad built in, wanted a real mouse with it - so we so
ordered a Logitech from PCC.  (Why did it HAVE to be a USB
mouse?)   Neither the technicians at PCC, nor at Logitech, nor indeed at
Toshiba could figure out why the new USB mouse (optical) would never even
light its LED lights from any of the three USB ports.  We spent ourselves
most of two days on this without a glimmer of hope.  BTW, we bought it with
Win 98, per many, many recommendations.

To my disgust, in their "wisdom" new Toshibas have neither monitor output
port, nor keyboard/mouse DIN port, nor even serial port, so none of the six
mice we already own could be even connected or tried.  Neither can any
keyboard or monitor - I don't know where Toshiba's design brains have gone
in the last three years!  I have never seen any laptop or notebook made
without ANY of these three ports on it before!

So I took the notebook/USB problem to a local company, that I buy ALL my
computers from, White Mountain Computer, but who do not sell
notebooks.  The head VP, Brenda, fixed it in 10 minutes.  For free!  She
explained that the "memory card" port in the side of the Toshiba, was
configured "as a USB", even though built right into the side, and that the
driver for the memory card prevented any mouse driver from working.  I
could never conceive of my son's using one, so she "uninstalled" this
driver, cutting him off forever from this wonderful expensive technology,
and installed (for the gazillionth time) the Logitech mouse driver.  It has
worked perfectly even since.  Chalk one up for small local business
knowhow, and one each down for three humongous companies.

I asked Brenda to let me pay her something, since it wasn't her problem -
she just smiled and said: "You'll be back."

So, I don't know how to do it myself, but look for device drivers and
interrupts, and conflicts - that sort of stuff.
Unlike the other three missing ports I had expected which always work, it
seems more and more USB is a troubled path everywhere you turn.  Is there a
web site that really explains all this USB vs Windows stuff?

Stan, let us know your progress.  Good luck.

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
75 Hannah Drive, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds bird identification software.