Introductory message

Subject: Introductory message
From: "tannehill" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 02:55:17 -0000
Hello,

My principle interest is in recording bird songs and calls.  I am
particularly interested in differences within a species and even
differences in the songs from the same individual.  My interest
started several years ago when I realized that the Yellow-rumped
Warbler that I was hearing at my house the end of April had exactly
the same song as the previous year.  This song disappeared after a
couple of weeks and other Yellow-rumped warbler songs replaced it.
Did the bird move on or did it change its song?  Was it even the same
song, or did I just think it was?  Are the songs unique enough to
identify an individual bird?  Do the differences have something to do
with where the bird is in the breading cycle?  How many different
Yellow-rumped Warbler songs are there?  If the songs are close does
this hint at a genetic closeness, an environmental closeness or did
one hear the other a adopt the song?

I have had a great time trying to find answers.  I have been using
rather cheap equipment.  (Radio Shack recorder and Microphone as
suggest by Greg Kunkel's web page)  I was amazed at how good the
results were but am looking to step up in quality.  I see that there
is much discussion about equipment.  Marantz with shotgun mic?
Minidisc with some kind of mic?  Parabloic dish?  Get an ATR -
55 for $85 for spend over $500 for a Sennheiser?  Because I often hike
and record bird songs as only a secondary part of the trip, equipment
size is very important.  I understand the problems with compression of
minidiscs but still find them attractive.

Basicaly I am a retired Chemistry - Physics teacher with a new and
fascinating interest.

If there is anyone else in the group that has the same interests, I
would enjoy hearing from them.

Tannehill