Re: Re: Bats & homebuilt dishes

Subject: Re: Re: Bats & homebuilt dishes
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 14:37:21 -0500
Syd Curtis wrote:

> > Indeed, many have never used much in the way of variety of parabolics.
> > They look so simple that they equate what they get to being universal
> > for the type. A purpose built stereo parabolic where the mics are
> > matched to the dish like the Telinga is definitely not the same as
> > hanging any old mic in front of a dish. And, of course the ability to
> > record in stereo adds considerable to the realism and therefore quality
> > of the recording vs a mono parabolic.
>
> They may not be strictly parabolic, but they are obviously very efficient
> and directional sound gatherers and reflectors:  I refer to animal ears.
> Note the way a dog pricks his ears and turns his head to pick up the sound
> he wants; how a horse (or a kangaroo) will swivel their ears for the same
> purpose.  And to very good effect too, if you consider how alert wild
> animals can be to the slightest sound.
>
> Of course being small they can't possibly amplify low frequency sounds, can
> they?  :-)  (Elephant ears - the external flaps - are for a different
> purpose altogether, I think.)

One of my future projects may very well turn out looking kind of like
animal ears. That will grow from the PZM experimental dish that Crown
made that I got a while back.

There may be a lot of the pzm type things going on in animal ears. PZM
follows a whole 'nother set of rules from a pure reflective dish. I have
no idea where all that might lead, but it's going to be fun finding out.

The SASS system I'm setting up is just a first step for me out that
direction. Gives me a chance to sort out mics to use with something
that's a bit of a known quantity.