Re: resin/cloth dish layups

Subject: Re: resin/cloth dish layups
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:14:37 EST
Sounds like you have a very nice dish mold.

One word of caution about thin cloth lay-ups. If too thin a layer is laid up,
additional layers and reinforcements can distort the original or first layer.
I never worked with Kevlar or Carbon Fiber, but these are very strong, rigid
materials that would be very strong at 0.030 inches thick, especially if a
lip is around the outer edge. I would add small reinforcements after a
finshed 0.030 inch lay-up is cured. Vacuum bagging is a lay-up technique used
to evacuate out excess resin that would otherwise add weight and reduce
strength.

Bruce