Future recording formats (was homemade hydrophone)

Subject: Future recording formats (was homemade hydrophone)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:36:10 -0500
Aaron Ximm wrote:

> > It's too bad sony does not see fit to put out a recorder for us based on
> > the 640 meg version of MD. That would be more interesting, same record
> > time as this marantz in uncompressed, and a much more viable field disk
> > format.
>
> Walt, I couldn't agree more!  And if not them, somebody... of course, I
> suppose media would be quite expensive and hard to fine for awhile --
> unless they opened it up to current levels of compression, in which case I
> imagine you'd have a very interested consumer market.  With MDLP2 that
> would be what, 12 hours of music on a disk?

The disks are used in some of their video recorders. I can get the disks
all over the place right now.

Before the advent of the mp3 craze the MD newsgroups were full of
speculation on when Sony might put out a audio version. Now that packing
the max amount of low quality compressed music into whatever seems like
the only goal, you don't hear many even talking about that disk.

I could get very grumpy, not that it would do any good.