Re: MD and DAT

Subject: Re: MD and DAT
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:14:24 +1100
> Walter Knapp wrote:

> (snip)

> I wonder if anyone records anything above 10 khz?

Now there's a challenge!  And there I was the other evening engrossed in
recording the lowest possible rumblings of distant thunder in stereo and
with all the low cut filters turned off, then a bat circled directly
overhead giving loud, high pitched 'pink-pink-pink' calls.  The contrast of
sounds was wonderful, especially in stereo.  When I later analyzed the bat
calls they began at 10.5 kHz and extended up to 15 kHz.  The growling
thunder was mostly below 250 Hz.

I am lucky to have good high frequency hearing still, so I do sometimes
record high pitched insects because they make such interesting sounds, and
they are part of my world.  Two of my local cicada species call at around 11
kHz.  I think one of them is actually 13 kHz but I need to double check
that.

I record with DAT but I'm sure if MD had been available when I started to
get serious about recording, I would have gone for MD because they are so
lightweight and batteries last forever - ideal for backpacking, and very
importantly, MD is a lot cheaper than DAT.  The issue of how long the DAT
tapes might last is not really relevant because it is now quite easy to
transfer digital recordings to a more permanent medium e.g. CD.

My understanding is that while MD is just great for relatively pure sounds
below, say, 10 kHz it is not so suitable for accurately recording the high
pitched and raspy sounds of insects?  Is that the main difference
science-wise between DAT and MD?  I can definitely hear a difference,
because MD takes out those tiny additional clues whereby one positions
oneself aurally within the landscape - DAT retains that "breathing space"
while MD creates more of a vacuum, a more 'perfect' world.  Maybe because we
are so used to turning off our ears due of noise pollution, we are less
aware of those tiny aural clues that give shape to the landscape - that
expectant "atmosphere" that happens between bouts of birdsong or frog calls.
Maybe people who live very close to nature are more aware of those sorts of
"irrelevant" sounds, and use them even to survive.

But the main thing is that people are out there recording wildlife sounds,
whatever their equipment!  We are so lucky to have access to high quality,
portable recording equipment, DAT, MD and whatever.  They are all excellent.
The pity of it is that such equipment did not exist in those eras when
natural soundscapes were unpolluted.

Vicki Powys
Australia