Re: MD and DAT - the nasty facts

Subject: Re: MD and DAT - the nasty facts
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:11:22 -0500
At 04:11 AM 2/20/02 -0500, Walt wrote:
>I was more originally thinking birds. Can you think of any that climb up
>to those high frequencies? There must be some above 10 khz.
I looked it up.

I have read all this stuff for two weeks about "why are we field people
stuck in an MD rut" and use only Sennheiser and Telinga mics, etc.
etc.  Many patient folks, some recent list additions, some old answerers,
have been asking and giving opinion, fact, explanation and advice for
several weeks now.

I want to go on very brief record on two items at this point, both OFF
topic, but really, ON topic.  Judge for yourself:

First, I want to answer Walt's question from my own data.  Second, to make
a strong, probably offensive recommendation.

 From my own recordings in the last five years, I can summarize a few
facts.  The following species recordings have components above 10 kHz, and
I am speaking BIRDS, here (most with ME-67, a few ME66 Sennheiser mics).

Amazona agilis, Black-billed Parrot, has a typical parrot shriek, but it
ends with a "yodel" that trends upward above 14 kHz.  (cassette recording).
Ammodarmus savannarum, Grasshopper Sparrow, typical calls (cassette) energy
bursts range from 7 to 10.5 kHz.
Arremon aurantiirostris, Orange-billed Sparrow, energy mainly 6 to 16 kHz,
with faint structure up past 19 kHz (cassette)
Chalybura buffonii, White-vented Plumleteer, main energy 3 - 10,  structure
visible to 18 kHz. (MD recording, Panama)
Margarornis rubiginosus - Ruddy Treerunner - most energy 7 to 10.5 kHz
(cassette)
Pionus menstruus - Blue-headed Parrot - sim to Black-bill, broad croak 1 to
10, with structure to 12 kHz (MD recording, Panama)
Quiscalus lugubris - Carrib Grackle - uses huge spectrum, less than 1 kHz
to 18 kHz (MD recording, St. Lucia)
Ramphocelus flammigerus - Flame-rumped Tanager - 1.5 to over 11 kHz (MD
recording, Panama)
Sturnella militaris - Red-breasted Blackbird - 2 - 15 kHz spiky calls (MD
recording, Panama)
Tersina viridis Swallow Tanager - lucky to catch this small flock - 3 to
14-18 kHz.(MD recording, Panama)
Tiaris olivaceus - Yellow-faced Grassquit - Costa Rica, 4 to 10, with spiky
structure to 21 kHz. (cassette).

I hasten to note that overloading any of these higher noted species will
produce visible structure to the max that was never present in the bird's
sounds, and these are examples where this process was carefully guarded
against. Frequency measurements were made with Cool Edit Pro.

END OF MY FIRST POINT

Second, the advice.  Ask yourself, how was Marty able to produce this
alphabetical list "one afternoon"?  THAT IS THE ADVICE:   what MOST of you
recordists need to do: is not parlay new equipment justifications, but
organize, label, database sort and detail all your work.  Now ask yourself:
which people on the list have already done that?  It should be
obvious.  Doug's are already on his fabulous web page, as are Walt's,
Lang's, etc..

Why I say this:  In the course of working with this list-group, and in
meeting another two dozen biologists and recordists in the field, most of
whom said to me, in so many words: "So-and-so (author of a major field
guide) has boxes of bird tapes you can use for you EnjoyBirds
project.",    or   "I have about 300 tropical species voices you can
use"     or   "I have 250 cassettes of birds and can check off every
species I can give you.".  Now the bad news: In 100% of these cases, the
actual details are dismal.  The recordist's mind is usually the exclusive
location of all such information.  Which closet are the tapes in?  Uh, I
have to go home and I'll email you (NOT!).

So, don't ask about archiving, read this list archives, and just DO IT.

Whereas I have labelled, sorted, digitized and stored on CD original and
species-edited sound files, in labelled shelves, so even OFF CAMPUS for
safety, it was my greatest disappointment to find that one hundred percent
of these field people had never done any of that.  So from my saying "Yes,
I want that species." to my actually getting a digital species file from
each person was months and months of "organizing, postponing, etc.".   It
is not that I am not grateful for the offered help, it gets to the
question: after the thrill of the chase, what is the future of my sounds?

The advice: don't wait, do it now.  The archives of this list tell in
minute detail how to do it.  Over and over again.

How to make database lists - I use software I wrote myself to create, link
and maintain DBF files of all the locations, attributes of sounds, of
species calls, etc.  Anyone (with more sanity?) would use Excel or another
database software.  If you want a short course in "third-form relational
database design", I can post that too. It IS different. It is not
hard.   Original design is far more important, so the attributes are
properly linked to the real world,  than is what software platform you use
to implement it.

I know I have said some accusative stuff, but I stand ready to help anyone
develop their own archiving process, where you can actually look up stuff
someone might ask about.  For PC's as Doug and I have been saying for 3
years: get Cool Edit.  A PC with CD burner and 10 Gigs of space is less
than $1000 now.  No excuses.

my very best,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
75 Hannah Drive, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds bird identification software.