RE: One square inch of silence

Subject: RE: One square inch of silence
From: "Gordon Hempton" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:04:46 -0800
Roger,

One Square Inch seeks to establish a mere point within a national park that
will be declared a QUIET PLACE, or acoustic preserve, to be free of all
human caused noise intrusions.  The net effect of this point management
system (rather than managing the soundscape of the entire park) is that it
is immediate, it is affordable, it is simple, and it affects the entire
park. If One Square Inch were established in a national park then much of
the backcountry areas would likely have long noise-free periods. (The close=
you position yourself to the One Square Inch within a national park the
longer natural quiet would last before a noise intrusion.)

People understand it and identify with it,  whereas other  preservation
strategies are hard to understand. That makes a big difference, too, since
people are making the noise and they need to understand what, exactly, is
going on.

Yet, One Square Inch is not to be underestimated.. it means an end to air
tourism (the NPS currently supports air tours) and high elevation commercia=
airline traffic (something the NPS chooses to avoid for political reasons).

A recent success story was when I received a pledge from American Airlines
to avoid Olympic National Park, and support One Square Inch.  To me that wa=
a real breakthrough. And a total surprise, but perhaps you are familiar wit=
the class action suite where a court  awarded compensation to nearby
residents for loss of sleep around Heathrow Airport. Health impacts are rea=
issues for airlines, and now that noise is linked to health losses, and
natural quiet is showing benefits to health, we can anticipate that airline=
will be anxious to show a balance sheet between health losses and gains.

My search for One Square Inch has led to a single valley at Olympic Park. I
have attempted to access this site for  two years but unseasonably early
rains  have prevented me from entering (there are no roads or trails into
this valley and I have to cross a river on foot). I hope to be successful
this year. I've been doing this alone, without outside funding. So progress
is slow, but alone and slow is still good. The Sound Survey and One Square
Inch is in my mind, a certainty.

FYI: Part of One Square Inch is the Sound Survey--a media archival system
that amounts to an interactive map and searchable database that allows park
staff (and public) to hear (360 degrees) and see (360 degrees) at various
points within a park. The more sampling points the higher the 'resolution'.
I developed this software and gave it to the NPS and the regional office
seems eager to use it, but the national headquarters is less interested and
there has been no action.  There is a real need to replace noise data (whic=
in my mind is irrelevant) with actual media that people can sense.

Hope this gives you some helpful information.

There is more though links at my web site http://www.soundtracker.com

All the best,

Gordon