Re: Song Playback, and response to noise

Subject: Re: Song Playback, and response to noise
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:51:03 +1100
All,

I have often noticed the phenomenon of birds responding, not to playback,
but to noise.  Now that I understand the phenomenon better, I am less
stressed by it - I used to think it was Murphy's Law specially designed to
defeat me, but that may not be entirely the case!

This might be something we could study further.  Marty's wonderful story of
the truck-chasing grouse is one good example.

Here's some examples of my own.  I was recording the (very rare) Regent
Honeyeater near where I live in Capertee Valley NSW.  A flock of about 10 o=
so were feeding in trees alongside a little-used road.  They used
intermittent contact calls when the atmosphere was peaceful.  If a big truc=
went by they called much more strongly.  There were also volleys of gun
shots happening nearby - target practice on and off for an hour or so
(another Murphy specialty).  This also made the Regent Honeyeaters call mor=
- when there were shots, they called more - when there were no shots they
didn't call so much.  I put it down to stress for the birds, because the
noise made me more jumpy too.

But here's a case where the singing response didn't seem to be caused by
stress.  Up in the tropical north, I was standing next to a quiet (but
tourist frequented) waterway, and quite close to a Grey Shrike-thrush, in
perfect early morning recording conditions.  But the thrush would not call.
After half an hour or more of waiting, the first of the early-morning
canoeists paddled by, their voices and laughter echoing across the water,
and the Grey Shrike-thrush then began to sing strongly.  When the canoeists
passed by, the bird stopped calling, until the next group of canoeists came
by, and so on.

Our Rufous Whistler is famous for its reaction to thunder, gunshots, and
other sudden loud noise.  It always gives a volley of calls in response to
these.  If you happen to be outside hammering at something, that really set=
them off.  It is like they are passing comment on the noise, rather than
being stressed by it.

So what's happening here?  Do you have any more examples?

Oh yes, it's shorts and t-shirt weather here too in summer Walt, but forget
the sandals, there's too many bull-ants and brown snakes about!

Vicki Powys
Australia