mammals-aus

Humpback calf off Eden

Subject: Humpback calf off Eden
From: "Goldie, John" <>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:32:39 +1000

Hi to all,

We went on a birding pelagic tour out from Eden on Sunday.  The weather was glorious and hence very few birds.  The highlight of the trip however was seeing a couple of Humpback whales heading north, including what we took to be a newborn calf.

It was quite small (if you can call 2m small) and very white in colour.  It was swimming close to the surface and surfacing frequently, which all made us think it was newborn.  See attached photo.  I had assumed that calves were born in Qld waters, but obviously it can be this far south as well – I don’t know whether that is unusual or not.

[It was nice to see some Common dolphins and seals as well.]

Regards,

John Goldie

Canberra

Science toy for child Science kits Science education
Food science Science toy

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

  •  Visit your group "mammals-aus" on the web.

     =Unsubscribe

  •  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF