mammals-aus

Possums and cats

To: <>
Subject: Possums and cats
From: <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 8:51:26 +1000
Val
Buying 2 cats wont deter possums, if she leaves them out at night.......we have
tiny little gliders out there and ringtails and Cats are the main causes of
their death. If she bought a cat to kill the possums that would be a RSPCA
matter then.
There are plenty of deterents your daughter could use I'll find the fact sheet
I have and I'll email it through to you privately.
Her neighbors are most probably feeding them and they become pests to others.
To have them around every night is wonderful for most people to even have
ringtails and brushies around.
We humans are killing our wildlife out because of habitat loss, etc..
The cats will destroy the wildlife, tell her to get rid of the cats. They are
natural hunters and kill so much of our wildlife. Cats have a bacteria in their
saliva so if they pick up a small glider/possum or bird and there are no
injuries that glider/possum and bird will die. They can be active flying around
until a bird will just drop dead within 24-48 hours. With a possum/glider it
can take up to 6 days and they will die suddenly too from infection.
Being a wildlife carer I see a lot of this and it is absolutely cruel to buy a
cat to get rid of the nuisance possums, that her neighbours are probably
feeding. Talk to the neighbours.
Read the attached and please tell her to get rid of the cats or lock them up 24
hours a day. A cat can live happily inside or be prepared to buy a cat cage for
them. Cats are known to climb trees at night and take baby birds out of their
nest whilst sleeping!!
Go to this site it will help.
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/dse/nrenpa.nsf/FID/-9F280C2CC74580F4CA256D8F001D3915?OpenDocument
Marian

Wildlife carer 7yrs

> From: "Val Ford" <>
> Date: 14/07/2005 5:54:18
> To: <>
> Subject: [mammals-aus] Possums and cats
>
> Hi all
>
> My daughter-in-law, who lives in inner suburban Melbourne, is stressed out
> with possums [mainly brushies and some ringtails] pooing on her patio etc.
>
> She had now gone out and purchased 2 cats as she was told they would deter
> possums.  As I have never heard this theory before I wondered if anybody
> else had.
>
> I am stressed out thinking about what the cats will do to the wildlife in
> the area!
>
> Cheers
> Val
>

> --

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Banner: Plants and Animals

Possums Home
Summary of Possum Repellent Study

A recent study by Deakin University in Melbourne set out to test the repellency of fourteen products most of which are commonly used to deter possums. The following is a summary of this study and does not represent the Department of Sustainability and Environment's view or endorsement of any of the products listed.

Products tested included:

  • Garlic spray
  • Tabasco sauce®
  • Hot English mustard
  • Indonesian fish sauce
  • White King®
  • Camphor
  • Naphthalene flakes
  • Quassia chips
  • Blood and Bone
  • Keep Off®
  • Stay Off®
  • D-Ter®
  • Scat®
  • Bitrex
All of these products are readily available either at the supermarket or at a plant nursery with the exception of Bitrex. Bitrex is a bittering agent commonly added to make certain products unpalatable and is an ingredient in some proprietary repellent products, such as D-Ter®.

Products were organised in categories according to their supposed method of repellency, either by taste (gustatory repellents) or odour (olfactory repellents). Different tests were devised for each category. Two of the products were tested in both categories because they could conceivably repel by both taste and odour (garlic spray and D-Ter®).

Gustatory repellents were tested on piles of apple pieces laid out in a grid pattern, with untreated apple and three different repellent treatments tested in each trial of two hours during which wild possums had free access to the food. The behaviour of the possums and the amount of food in each treatment remaining at the end of the trial period were recorded. The results showed that when possums were hungry, none of the repellents prevented them from eating all the apple provided. The products tested in this series of trials included: Tabasco sauce®, Hot English mustard, Indonesian fish sauce, Bitrex, Garlic spray and D-Ter®.

Olfactory repellents were tested by placing treated and untreated chopped apple in a cage suspended above the ground. A counter recorded the number of times a possum attempted to gain access to the contents of the cage. A large number of attempts to get the untreated apple, compared with few attempts to get at the treated apple would be taken as an indication of successful repellency.

The results suggested that five of the tested compounds may show some degree of repellency. These were: White King®, Keep Off®, Camphor, Naphthalene and Scat®. The other products tested in the olfactory trials were: D-Ter®, Stay Off®, Blood and Bone, Garlic and Quassia chips.

It should be noted that these trials were undertaken on one population of possums at one site. The results do not necessarily indicate that similar responses will be displayed by possums elsewhere, or that other kinds of tests would yield similar results.

Reference

Cooney, Janine 1998. An evaluation of commonly used deterrents for urban Common Brushtail Possums Trichosurus vulpecula (Kerr, 1792). BSc (Hons) Thesis, School of Ecology and Environment, Deakin University.

Page Top | Possums Home

For general information about DSE please contact:
Customer Service Centre
Phone: 136 186
Email: http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/web/root/domino/csc/cscemail.nsf/dse
Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria, Australia
Printer Friendly Version

State Government of Victoria Logo, link to Victorian Government Home

© The State of Victoria, 1996 - 2005

This document was last reviewed on 07/04/2004