mammals-aus

Port Phillip Dolphin - a unique species

To: "maus" <>
Subject: Port Phillip Dolphin - a unique species
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:52:27 +1000
I've just seen a one page summary of DNA and other work by Kate Charlton, a
PhD student at  Monash University, which identifies our local dolphins of
Port Phillip Bay as a separate species.

It was issued by Australian Biotechnology News on Monday.

The species seems to be the result of millions of years of intermittent
isolation from other dolphins. It is at high risk of extinction.

But I found some of the text difficult to understand, mainly because it says
the "in-shore bottlenose dolphin" Tursiops aduncus occasionally enters the
Bay and is about a metre longer than the Bay animals.

>From the text and maps in Peter Menkhorst's Field Guide to the Mammals of
Australia it looks to me as if it is the "off-shore bottlenose dolphin" T.
truncatus which is more likely to be tbe the larger dolphin which is
sometimes in the Bay.

Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife