canberrabirds

Satin Bowerbirds

To: Alberta Hayes <>
Subject: Satin Bowerbirds
From: "Jack Hunter via Canberrabirds " <>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2026 10:19:59 +0000
G'day folks, 

They're definitely going a little bit crazy. There's been 8-10 very brazen ones popping off around Fassifern pond recently, also found a practice bower and a pretty advanced one down by the creek - but not sure they've survived the rain. There's also the rowdy bunch from the Botanical Gardens that have spilled onto the CSIRO side. I've noticed at least two practice bowers in the bush through there. We've also had them in our yard for the first time, which is not in an area you would expect them to visit frequently.  

Likewise, all green machines, with only two exceptions. 

Cheers, 
Jack 

On Tue, Sep 1, 2026 at 3:28 PM Alberta Hayes via Canberrabirds <> wrote:
Hi Shorty, 

I’m not sure about the wetlands, but I was going to write to the chat line about just how berserk the Satin Bowerbirds at Umbagong are going. I’ve found two bowers so far, (with another I’m 90% sure is there but it’s not as accessible) and the birds been very active when I’ve walked through in the late afternoons. 

Perhaps it is perfect conditions for them this year? Did the mild Winter help? 

Kind regards, 
Bertie. 

On Tue, 1 Sep 2026 at 3:18 pm, shorty via Canberrabirds <> wrote:
Hi All,

Satin Bowerbirds are a species I have only seen once in a blue moon at Jerra Wetlands but during August they have been a daily sighting and in good numbers but I have only seen Green birds.

Speaking with a lady the other day she informed me of a bower so I had a look and found it. Yesterday I spotted the male who owned it.

Does anyone know of any other records of a bower at the wetlands?

Shorty
--
This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group.
Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list

https://lists.canberrabirds.org.au/mailman/listinfo/canberrabirds
--
This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group.
Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list

https://lists.canberrabirds.org.au/mailman/listinfo/canberrabirds

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information. If you believe you have received this email or any of its contents in error, please notify me immediately by return email and destroy this email. Do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy any contents of an email received in error.


Attachment: ATT00001.txt
Description: ATT00001.txt

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Satin Bowerbirds, shorty via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au]
    • Satin Bowerbirds, Alberta Hayes via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au]
    • Satin Bowerbirds, Jack Hunter via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] <=
Admin

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Canberra Ornithologists Group mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the list contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email . If you can not contact David McDonald e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU