![]() |
canberrabirds
|
| To: | Canberra Birds <> |
|---|---|
| Subject: | Corella attacking magpie corpse |
| From: | "Nick Payne via Canberrabirds " <> |
| Date: | Thu, 6 Aug 2026 07:45:03 +0000 |
I was walking our dog down Carstensz St in Griffith earlier today, and at the T-junction with Hartog St saw a Little Corella at the top of a street light pole attacking what I initially thought was a rag attached to the decayed timber at the top of the pole. I couldn't clearly see what it was, but when I walked around to the other side of the pole to get a better look at it, it turned out to be the corpse of a Magpie whose foot appeared to have become wedged in the cracked timber at the top of the pole. The Corella was grabbing the wing of the Magpie and pulling on it. There was a second Corella about half a metre away on the horizontal wire, watching but not taking part. I didn't have a camera with me, but I watched for a couple of minutes, with the behaviour remaining the same. When I got home I grabbed my phone and went back up the road, but the Corellas by then had left. The unfortunate Magpie was still hanging there. Nick Payne This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information. If you believe you have received this email or any of its contents in error, please notify me immediately by return email and destroy this email. Do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy any contents of an email received in error. Attachment:
|
| <Prev in Thread] | Current Thread | [Next in Thread> |
|---|---|---|
| ||
| Previous by Date: | Gang gangs, Coral Dow via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] |
|---|---|
| Next by Date: | Fledgling Wattlebird, Matthew Larkin via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] |
| Previous by Thread: | Gang gangs, Coral Dow via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] |
| Next by Thread: | Fledgling Wattlebird, Matthew Larkin via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] |
| Indexes: | [Date] [Thread] [Top] [All Lists] |
The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Canberra Ornithologists Group mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the list contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email . If you can not contact David McDonald e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU