![]() |
canberrabirds
|
| To: | "" <> |
|---|---|
| Subject: | Bird mysteries |
| From: | "cstandfield via Canberrabirds " <> |
| Date: | Mon, 1 Jun 2026 04:19:13 +0000 |
|
Good morning all,
I have a few bird mysteries as a novice Canberra birder and would be really appreciative of thoughts from more experienced birders/bird detectives.
1 - Today I observed a sulphur-crested cockatoo with a severe "underbite" - the lower mandible was growing up over the upper, almost like its bill was upside down. I'm curious about what would cause it and how the bird has managed to survive. It looked
a little bit scragglier than the others.
2 - At Nadjung Mada last weekend, I observed an odd robin that has stayed on my mind. I saw the Flames in a mob and then two other tan-grey robins with pale undersides separately. One was quite acrobatic - it flew high up into the air from its perch on
the fence to nab an insect. Its colouring was something I couldn't find in the field guides or online photos for Flames - a neat, quite thin band of pale pinkish red across the top of its breast. Much paler and neater than the colouring I've seen on female
Scarlet Robins. I also didn't see any other Scarlets. It had a plain face with a faint eye ring. It had pale wing bars but I didn't get a good look. Any ideas as to what it might have been? I am also willing to accept that it will just be yet another mystery
bird!
3 - I'm in search of the Bassian Thrush at ANBG. I was there yesterday around the same time it was last reported and I focused on the Rainforest Gully area, based on descriptions of its preferred habitat being wet forests.
I'm wondering if I'm looking in the right area? I did see Common Blackbirds there.
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information. If you believe you have received this email or any of its contents in error, please notify me immediately by return email and destroy this email. Do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy any contents of an email received in error.
|
| <Prev in Thread] | Current Thread | [Next in Thread> |
|---|---|---|
| ||
| Next by Date: | Bird mysteries, Philip Veerman via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] |
|---|---|
| Next by Thread: | Bird mysteries, Philip Veerman via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] |
| Indexes: | [Date] [Thread] [Top] [All Lists] |
The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Canberra Ornithologists Group mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the list contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email . If you can not contact David McDonald e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU