canberrabirds

You are probably all way ahead of me on this

To: 'Kim Farley' <>, 'Geoffrey Dabb' <>
Subject: You are probably all way ahead of me on this
From: "Philip Veerman via Canberrabirds " <>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2026 04:27:44 +0000

There is a sort of funny thing to this. About 25 years ago when I was working on my report on the GBS, I decided on the title “Canberra Birds: A Report on the first 18 years of the Garden Bird Survey” (for the first edition but as they sold out I updated it and the next two editions had 21 years). Although I commonly abbreviate it as just “The GBS Report”. Partly emphasizing THE as distinct from A. The funny bit is that I had not thought that years into the future that COG would give itself the alternate name Canberra Birds. Thereby part duplicating the name of the book. And I don’t think I noticed or mentioned this at the time of discussions into the name change. So, a search on “Canberra Birds” will or can find both. Obviously, the club gets more finds.

 

I realized this recently when I did a search and found that an antique boutique in Canberra has on its catalogue a listing of my book for sale at $80! About four times the original price.

 

Philip

 

From: Canberrabirds On Behalf Of Kim Farley via Canberrabirds
Sent: Saturday, 28 March, 2026 2:19 PM
To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Cc: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Re: [Canberrabirds] You are probably all way ahead of me on this

 

Nope, I hadn't seen this before, but it prompted me to look at another web resource about us - the COG entry in Wikipedia  Canberra Ornithologists Group - Wikipedia. Very minimal in terms of content, out of date, with dead links....

 

Does anyone know if any COG/Canberra Birds people had input to this? The View History link at the top of the page may be enlightening to others, though not to me. 

 

Kim

 

On Sat, Mar 28, 2026 at 10:25 AM Geoffrey Dabb via Canberrabirds <> wrote:

… but I recently came across Grokipedia, an AI-generated online encyclopedia developed and operated by xAI, a company founded by Elon Musk.  There is a long and remarkably informative article on COG.  I read this carefully for any inaccuracies, but it performed quite well, given that this is a view from a distance, through slightly out-of-focus binoculars.

 

One point that puzzled me was where Elon’s AI elves found a current Pocket Guide to the Birds of Canberra (from 2010s) (see attached).  This may be a reference to the 2004 brochure by Peter Marsack, Penny Osen and Tom Green sadly no longer in print.

--
This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group.
Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list

https://lists.canberrabirds.org.au/mailman/listinfo/canberrabirds


This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information. If you believe you have received this email or any of its contents in error, please notify me immediately by return email and destroy this email. Do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy any contents of an email received in error.


Attachment: ATT00001.txt
Description: ATT00001.txt

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
Admin

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Canberra Ornithologists Group mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the list contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email . If you can not contact David McDonald e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU