One of the problems that we have is the continued destruction of habitat leading to these problems.
If habitat could be saved or increased these problems might not be so severe.
If people could increase habitat by planting local Australian native plants in their gardens, taking into account such matters a structure, then we might be able to increase the
number of native birds in our suburban frameworks.
We could then encourage people to take photos through their kitchen windows, thus minimizing disturbance.
Alan
From: Canberrabirds <>
On Behalf Of ben milbourne via Canberrabirds
Sent: Sunday, 22 March 2026 1:31 PM
To: CanberraBirds email list <>
Subject: [Canberrabirds] Red caps @ Nadjung Mada
It was recently noted via the Canberra Wildlife Photography Facebook page to be mindful of the needs of our local red capped robins out at Bracks Hole.
Some voiced concerns due to their potential vulnerability to regular human visits, voicing the context of rarity and sensitivity. While others noted the context of the habitat as likely lowering this sensitivity
out there, since relatively poor resource availability may contribute to these birds as moving through anyways versus seeking a breeding locale or bulking up.
Please forgive me if I've oversimplified these arguments as the reason for submitting this email is to utilise Bracks Hole as a springboard to continue the conversation for the redcaps currently being sought
out at Nadjung Mada. It's possible that I'm merely repeating what's already been put out via the Canberra Birds email chain. Yet I chose to write because I haven't heard/read anything and I remember how significant it was recently when the species turn up
at the grasslands near the Gungaddera Grasslands NR. And similarly to for the rose robins at Goorooyaroo NR, the powerful owls at Warks Rd, and dare we speak of the painted snipe at the arboretum.
Would be brilliant to hear from those more experienced than I to please offer advice for these Nadjung Mada redcaps in context of species vulnerability, resource availability and breeding stages. I'd also appreciate
if the conversation can be defined in terms of both visitation saturation and purpose. For such conversations often prioritise photographers, which indeed has its place. Yet when a species, such as this, is discovered ... if it's rare, easily accessible,
and rates high on the 'cute and gorgeous scale', it can attract greater than usual foot traffic regardless; paparazzi and spectators alike.