canberrabirds

eBirders! Take care with identification of non-breeding Aussie Grebe & H

To: Kim Farley <>
Subject: eBirders! Take care with identification of non-breeding Aussie Grebe & Hoary-headed Grebe
From: Michael Lenz via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 07:00:17 +0000
  Thanks Kim for this reminder!

One of the areas I visit regularly is West Belconnen Pond where both species occur. But I find that some of the field marks you have listed are not always easy to see, especially when the birds are not close (e.g. eye colour). Likewise, whether or not the edge of the cap runs through the eye or just below the eye, can be difficult to see. And when birds are in transition from breeding to winter plumage, the contrast from the cap to the whitish cheeks can be a bit blurred (at least to my eyes).

The characteristic that is readily picked up, even when the birds are further out, is the colouring of the flanks. In the A Grebe they have a rusty tinge, while in the HH Grebe they are grey. The ABG says for the A Grebe that the flanks are "often rusty tinged".  HANZAB  mentions no restrictions: adult non-breeding: flanks buff, juvenile: flanks warm buff.

When seen head-on, in the HH Grebe the neck is creamy white over its full length, while in the A Grebe it is greyish at the lower end.

Michael Lenz