canberrabirds

Bird name madness

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: Bird name madness
From: Martin Butterfield via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 05:42:31 +0000
The pious hope in your last sentence is almost an irresistible challenge.  May I suggest, should someone be less able than me to control their impulses, that as with other fields of natural sciences, the answer to that question is "it depends".  Mainly it depends on which eminent person in the field of study you are talking to.

It is all a great pity, especially as in my most recent foray into looking at my concordance between eBird Australia and Bird Life Australia the names appeared to be moving more into alignment.