canberrabirds

FW: Grants ideas

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: FW: Grants ideas
From: Geoffrey Dabb via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 23:11:58 +0000

As an ‘ought to be’ question this raises whether relevance to conservation is necessary for a ‘top research need’.  Not only is so much unknown but perceptions change.  A few years ago determination of ‘subspecies’ status was important because ‘conserving subspecies is as important as conserving species’.  Now there is uncertainty, or at least different views, about what a subspecies is, so that ‘top research need’ is somewhat diminished, as I see it. As to being intrigued, I would list seasonal movement of species or populations between Australia and New Guinea. Not that the Canberra Birds Conservation Fund is likely to be asked to play  a role there.